7.28.2010

Theoretically the Oldest

My older brother drives me insane. His mentality is sickening. Is it right that he comes to me, his 16 year old sister for money and a ride because he doesn't have his own or he's out of gas and can't pay for more? No it's not right. I'm four years younger. I shouldn't have to act like his older sibling when I'm so much younger than he.

Today he set me over the edge. It was a hot pocket. I bought a box yesterday. I planned on having one for lunch today. I went downstairs and smelled something too familiar.....a cooked hot pocket. I went to the freezer...no box. My sisters didn't eat it. My mom didn't eat it. My dad is playing golf.....so I stormed down the stairs pounded on his basement-bedroom door and asked him if he ate it. BINGO!! There he was. Sitting, enjoying MY hot pocket. I can live without hot pockets...what set me off was that he didn't even bother to ask if he could eat it. He knows that my parents don't buy them. He knows that it wasn't his. There must have been something inside his head saying, "That might be Anna's....should you eat it.....??" but he went ahead and took it.

He buys his own frozen pizzas and Velveeta macaroni and cheese dinners.....why couldn't he have had one of those?! I asked him. "I finished them last night," he said. Last night....or this morning....at 2 FRICKIN A.M.! It's wrong.

I HATE having to act like the oldest. True, I am the oldest girl, but really?! Must I act the the oldest even when he's around? I'm worried that when I'm in my late 20s and early 30s trying to settle down with my life, he's going to barge in and need a large sum of money or a place to stay because he's not doing anything with his life. And I'll be too nice to say no. This must stop. He needs to get on with his life and make something of it. I won't do it for him. I will not make the mistakes he is making. I'm going to learn from them, something he can't or just won't do.

I'm sure I'm not the first girl in the world to have a defective older brother. And I sure as hell won't be the last. So here's to 2 years from now....I'll be in college living in a dorm and he'll probably still be here. And when that hits him, it'll hit him hard and he'll feel like crap for not doing all he should have when he got the chance. I am theoretically the oldest, so I have an example to set for my sisters...and my older brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment