1.31.2010

2 Seconds

Last evening, at about 6:30, I was in a car accident. It was my fault. I feel like crap both emotionally and physically. No one was injured, and the car is still drivable, but it doesn't look so hunky-dory. I think this is a good and bad thing. Here's why:

Good:
  • I can now be an advocate against distracted driving from a first-hand experience.
  • I've dealt with the consequences and now I know that there's a lot in the world I can deal with.
  • I do not lose my license. *phew*
  • My sister won't be sitting in the front seat for a really long while.... she learned her lesson the hard way.
  • This experience will actually make me a better driver. That's never a bad thing.
  • It makes for a great story, and maybe I'll over-exaggerate a little, just to sound more tough/hard-core.

Bad:

  • I am in immense pain. Nothing's broken, but a lot is bruised. My neck hurts from the whiplash, my back from only God knows what, my thigh from hitting the wheel, my chest from the airbag, my elbow from hitting the window... et cetera, et cetera....
  • I have no car to drive until we either get this one repaired (unlikely) or get a new one.
  • I'm going to have to deal with people's questions. 'Nuff said.
  • I might get a ticket for distracted driving. Super.
  • The recurring image of the accident is not a fun one. I'm never EVER going to forget this.

I have great friends. The news spreads fast, and I keep getting texts saying "OMG! ARE YOU OKAY?!" and I just reply, "Yeah. I'm fine. No one was hurt. It's still kinda tough to talk about, so I'll tell you more later."

That's what I'm going to say here. It is still hard to talk about. It's going to be a while before I look back on this and just say, "Huh. Oh Well. It happened." I do hear that everyone will be involved in an accident at least once in their lifetime. I've had my experience with it, and I hope this is the only one, and I'm eternally grateful that there were zero injuries. I owe God a lot of prayers tonight and for the rest of my life. He's the bomb. ;)

God, You ROCK!! and I apologize for cussing....a car accident isn't exactly a situation for "Darn it!" or "Shucks!" Sorry.

Readers, don't drive distracted. It took two seconds of not looking at the road to change everything. You may think that you can text while driving as long as your peripheral is okay... You can't. Sorry. That's the truth. Don't do it. I'm trying to let you learn the easy way rather than the hard way like I did. (I wasn't texting, by the way.)

God Bless and Good Luck!

Drive Safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment