1.12.2011

Floyd

I have three things for Michael Floyd: This post, respect, and a hug. The first and second I can give to him easily and without his permission. The last...eh, not so much. As for the first, though, I would like to say this: Michael Floyd, the least I can do to show you my appreciation for your selflessness is write this post for you. There are a few things I would like to address.

I copied this off the und.com report about Floyd and his decision to stay:

"'This was one of the toughest decisions I have ever had to make in my life,' Floyd said. 'On the one hand, there was Notre Dame. This place has been an incredible home to me and the relationships I built here are ones I know I'll have for the rest of my life. On the other hand, there was the NFL. It has always been a lifelong goal to play football at the highest level and that is something I look forward to doing at some point. However, I'm pleased to say I will be returning to the University of Notre Dame for my senior season in 2011. I'm returning to Notre Dame for three reasons: to earn my degree, return Notre Dame to the top and improve myself as a player. First, I promised my mom I would graduate from Notre Dame and I am 40 credit hours shy of attaining that goal. I chose to attend Notre Dame in part because I knew it was a 40-year decision and not a four-year decision. Graduating from Notre Dame will help me for the rest of my life. Second, I want to get Notre Dame back to a BCS game. I believe we are very close to returning the Irish to where we belong and I want to be part of something great. Lastly, I want to show everyone in the country that I'm the best wide receiver in college football in 2011. There are many things I need to improve, but I feel with the coaching I have at Notre Dame, I can become the best at my position in this game.'"

Before I go into talking about your reasons, let me just say, I only hope to be able to experience the University's hospitality someday. However, this post is about you, not me, so let me continue.

Earning your degree is a wonderful reason to stay. I've been trying to explain that to people who are still mad at Andrew Luck for choosing to stay at Stanford; however, people don't seem to understand the value of a good education. You did and you then acted upon that realization. I give you major props for that.

Returning Notre Dame to the top once more is, in one word, AMAZING! That is quite selfless of you and I'm confident that I can speak for every Notre Dame fan out there by saying we couldn't appreciate it more! You are a wonderful person!

Now as for improving yourself as a player, I'm no expert, but I don't see the possibility of that. You are fantastic already! I would start listing my reasons for believing that, but then I'd start gushing--and no one wants that.

Whether you had chosen Notre Dame or the NFL,I would have been content. Like I said about Kyle Rudolph, whatever made him happy, makes me happy and it's the same for you. So thank you, God Bless, and I cannot wait to see you on the field in South Bend next season. A little less than 9 months now...it couldn't come too fast if I wanted it to.

No comments:

Post a Comment