8.24.2010

When I Grow Up....

Let me tell you this first: when people as me what I want to be when I grow up, I get a little bit mad inside. "Grow Up" is basically a way of them saying, "You're still young and immature and are incapable of making big decisions." Wrong. I do still have a bit of growing up to do, meaning I'm still young and somewhat immature (not in the perverted, stupid immature that always comes to mind first), and I have trouble making big decisions, but honestly, who is really completely grown up?

Second: The two professions that I am highly considering at this point are in the legal and therapy fields....how are they related? I get to work with people one-on-one for the majority of the profession and a lot of the job is speaking and listening--two things I KNOW I'm good at.

Third: I am a normal, human, warm-blooded American girl....growing up, I went through phases. I wanted to be a ballerina, an actress, Britney Spears (that one, not so much anymore. At all.) a princess, a cowgirl, a veterinarian, and of course, even a firefighter (like my Dad). But now is the time for me to get serious. I need to be realistic and start asking myself, "Where do I want to go to college?" "What do I want to major in?" "What jobs can I see myself doing for the rest of my life?" The answers are these: I want to go to either KU (in-state), Notre Dame, Columbia, or another prestigious school. I have NO clue what I want to major in, so don't even ask me. The jobs I can see myself doing are, once again, something in therapy or legal.

My mom is very opposed to my slight want to be a lawyer. "Don't go to the dark side, Anna!" She said. Are all lawyers bad? I sure as h-e-double-hockey-sticks hope not. When I tell anyone I have a slight desire to be a therapist, there is one reaction: "OH! I can definitely see you doing that!" which I guess is a good thing--especially because I can also see myself doing something like that.

In a nutshell, I don't know what I'm supposed to do for the rest of my life. One thing I do know though: Whatever it is, I just hope I'm always happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment